Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Theatre

I swear, there is like some kind of karmic, cosmic deal out there that means I need to be acting.

And I don't mean that in an arrogant way. But I've just woken up from the second dream in a week that I've been passed over in acting.

Dream One: With the director from the Heidi Chronicles, we set out to do another play. I audition again. Again, I do not receive an acting part. Instead, I am stage manager again, plus choreographer and costume designer. I will have to sew everthing by myself as I am not given any assistants. And, I kid you not, EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON in that room got a "leading role" in this Western play we have to do. They're all giggly and saying how much fun they'll have... I'm practically hyperventilating in my sleep cuz my conscious brain decides to remind my unconscious brain about how much work stage manager was, and how much MORE work the other two roles will be.

Dream Two: This is a different director - instead, she is an English professor I'm really comfortable with at school. The same audition process happens and ... I think we had performances? Then the rehearsals? I don't know. In any case, I wasn't given a damn thing to do. We're in dress rehearsals now, I believe. (And, by the way, the theatre in the first dream was completely imaginary, while this one was a modified version of the gym of my middle school.) I've apparently been doing NOTHING for the entire process when I notice that one of the main actors (who has to speak in the next thirty seconds) is not on stage. So I run backstage (we, being the production crew, were apparently sitting on folding chairs just off stage left) and get him on stage in time from the dressing rooms. The director then proceeds to yell at me for not being in my chair for those thirty seconds and asks what my job is. I tell her I don't have one. She yells even more at me, which is odd because the real person wouldn't do that at all. This is approximately when I woke up, out of breath and tearing up.

I'm taking a lesson from these dreams and I will be researching any kind of theatre I can do either before summer ends or during the night when school begins. Any more of these dreams and I may scream.

Just had to let someone know all the gory details of my subconscious.

Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment